Thursday, March 26, 2009

Truth

"I tore myself away from the safe comfort of certainties through my love for the truth, and truth rewarded me." -Simone de Beauvoir, existentialist, writer, and social essayist

When I think of what my "safe certainties" are/were, I think of everything I was afraid of, even guarded from before Ben and before Utah. Truth has been a subject recently brought up through our college service, DETOX. We meet at the church and listen to Paul talk about the bible, which I believe to be 100% true. We get in these groups to discuss real, authentic questions from these young hearts eager to learn what really is true and right and for some of us, what GOD says about the choices we make in life.

I am personally so sick of people making it 'comfortable' to talk about the God of this Universe. I cringe when we are in these groups at DETOX, or at UteNited or just in a group casually talking about religion or God or the bible and someone just lays down and lets a good opportunity to say, "No. I believe the bible is true. And because of that, I believe that the only way to Heaven is through Jesus through faith in Him and what he did for us on the cross."

Tolerance is not Grace.

Why is it so hard to be bold for our Creator? In Utah, we are somewhere between 1%-3% Christians. Mormonism has capitalized this city and state. I'm not so much upset than I am sad. I got the opportunity to talk with these two guys at Sunset Coffee about God, Jesus, Mormonism, Christianity, Lutheranism, evolution and "The path of enlightenment and fulfillment" (Buddhism). At the end of it all, I found my heart saying and pushing me to tell these guys that God wants their hearts. To just give God a try. And so I told them. I knew that they probably thought I was a little weird, and I promise I didn't come off as a crazy Christian with a blow horn. By their reaction, I am confident in saying that no one has probably ever said something so blunt to these guys before and I left the table with smiles and handshakes...and myspace URL's to stay in touch.

Now, I agree that there are times when this boldness is inappropriate, and I am not an extremist to any end, but there is a difference between being tolerant; lazy and showing grace; compassion and care. And I believe that the more grace, love, patience and unconditional friendship, and the more you pray and have the desire for God to change hearts around you and in your life, the more opportunities He will provide for you to speak TRUTH into the lives and hearts that you care about. You cannot just sit on the fence and not invest in Him and then expect to be ready and willing and used to the fullest in situations. It's like not studying for a test and then praying that God would give you the wisdom to ace it before you take it. God isn't a vending machine.

I challenge Christians to go out today and rest on the comfort and freeing knowledge that we are saved for eternity. That our lives were bought for a price. And after you've thanked God for eternal life with Him, Ask him to give you opportunities to share his Truth that assures you this eternal light in your life and heart. Tear yourself away from safety and be willing to die to someone: a friend, a family member, a co-worker for speaking and believing God's wonderful truth. Love the truth and let the Truth reward you.

1 Comment:

  1. Douglass Wayne Healey said...
    Awesome I was there that was a really good day. Glad it was written down for others to read and not just us keeping the memory to ourselves

Post a Comment